Re: [NTLK] Other Dreams of MP3Newt: Digital sound out of serial port/MP3 decoder chip interface

From: Marco Mailand (Newton2k1_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Mar 26 2002 - 04:12:17 EST

> Here's another far-fetch possibility: feed MP3 data directly out the
> (a) serial port (or IR port if it's fast enough and you can get
> bit-level access in C++ - unlikely) and then to a dedicated MP3 decoding
> chip and off to a D/A and preamp.
This is a nice idea which suffers from the limited memory resources of the
Newton. A 32MB card could hold only about 10 x 3min songs. It's the same as
with my SL45 cell phone: 32MB = 10 songs in very good quality but the SL45
is a cell phone, weighs only 66 grams and got everything to control the MP3
player and volume too. Things which have to be programmed and controlled by
touching the Newton screen. This modification is IMHO to much work with to
little effort. If the Newton could hold e.g. a Toshiba PCMCIA harddisc or
MicroDrive this would at least allow more songs.

--
With best Regards / Viele Gruesse!

Marco Mailand

http://slsbd.psi.ch/timing http://slsbd.psi.ch/~mmailand/ https://www.paypal.com/refer/pal=YYD3VUXUVD2YG