Re: [NTLK] help!

From: phil toledano (philtoledano_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Mar 24 2002 - 19:48:24 EST

fantastic-thanks for your help-everything worked
well.....while i'm raiding your brain, any suggestions
for a piece of software to make the address book a bit
better?

thanks alot

phil

-- Patrick Jendraszak <indyibook_at_insightbb.com> wrote:
> Here is all the information and URLs that I have. I
> picked this up from
> a post by
> Walter R Basil, who gives credit to Paul Guyot. I
> have never tried this
> personally, but I kept it in my "archives" since I
> was moving back to
> Newton from a Palm myself. (I actually did not use
> this. I loaded my
> address book from my old Newton (on a backup card)
> and made the needed
> modifications.) Those with more experience on this
> list will help, I'm
> sure ....
>

> > This document is intended for those who are new
> to Newton, and want to
> learn
> > how to synchronize their
> > Newton with Macintosh Palm Desktop. It is a
> step-by-step process that
> > guarantees productivity, unless
> > something is not working properly.
> > Here is a list of items you will need:
> > A working Newton.
> > Macintosh Computer.
> > Bag of David Sunflower Seeds (optional).
> > 8 pin mini din serial cable (printer cable).
> > Serial to USB adapter (if you don't have the old
> type serial connector
> on
> > your Macintosh). I used the Belkin
> > brand.
> > Norton Connection Utilities (hereafter referred
> to as NCU).
> > Here is a list of manuals of interest:
> > 1. Apple Message Pad Handbook

ftp://manuals.info.apple.com//Apple_Support_Area/Manuals/newton/0308951ANAPLMP
> > HNDBK.PDF
> > with its update:

ftp://manuals.info.apple.com//Apple_Support_Area/Manuals/newton/0308508AILATEB
> > KGINFO.PDF
> > 2. Newton OS2 (the operating system of the Newton
> device):

ftp://manuals.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Manuals/newton/0307843ANOS2FTU
> > RS.PDF
> > 3. You may also want to read the documentation
> about cables:

ftp://manuals.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Manuals/newton/0308266ANCBLS.

http://www.unna.org/unna/apple/connection_utils/ForMac/NewtonConnectionUtiliti
> [...]
> > Connect the Newton to the Macintosh.
> > Turn on the Newton.
> > Tap the "Extras" button on the Newton. A tab
> looking divider comes up
> on the
> > Newton screen, and in the tab
> > should be the words "All Icons." If anything else
> is written in that
> tab,
> > then tap on it, and select "All Icons"
> > from the list that appears.
> > On the Newton, tap on the "Connection" icon.
> > Ensure that it says "Connect via Serial" in the
> next slip that
> appears. If
> > not, tap on it and select it from the list.
> > On the Newton, tap on the "connect" button. A
> status bar will appear
> on the
> > screen, showing its attempt to
> > connect with the Macintosh. Once the connection
> is made, you will see
> the NCU
> > program "come to life."
> > On the Macintosh, hit the "Synchronize" button in
> the NCU window. That
> will
> > open up the next window,
> > where you will select what modules on the Newton
> will synchronize with
> what
> > PIM on your desktop.
> > Select each of the four modules (names, dates,
> notes, and to do),
> choosing
> > the Organizer 2.0 file
> > contained within your Newton Connection
> Utilities/IntelliLink folder
> as the
> > data file to be synchronized
> > with. When you are finished with all four
> modules, select "OK" and your
> > Newton will synchronize itself
> > with your Palm Desktop.
> > If you did not already use the Palm Desktop
> software prior to this,
> then I
> > suggest you double click on the
> > Organizer 2.0 file, and when it asks you which
> program to open it with,
> > choose the Palm Desktop. After that,
> > when you use Palm Desktop, it will automatically
> use that file for
> your data
> > file.
> > That is all there is to it. Now, you can
> add/update items in your
> Newton or
> > Palm Desktop, and when you hit the
> > synchronize button, the other will be updated
> also.
> > Many thanks go out to Paul Guyot for his patience
> in guiding me
> through my
> > Newton quest, and for providing
> > most of the links in this document.
> > I hope this document could be of some use to you!
> > Walter R Basil
>
> On Sunday, March 24, 2002, at 09:36 AM, phil
> toledano wrote:
>

> > sorry about the last email!
> >
> > so i just bought a newton 2100-does anyone know
> how i
> > can transfer the contents of my palm desktop to

=== message truncated ===

=====
lunacy is the amniotic fluid of genius