Re: [NTLK] MP2x00 Display Upgrade - latest update

From: Calvin Grier (cgrier_at_ix.netcom.com)
Date: Wed Mar 20 2002 - 10:38:10 EST

Ed,

I looked at the "holographic reflector" PDF link and I'm very curious.

Can direct me to someone that offers a commercial product (a flim or coating
service) that would be able to supply product that I could include in a kit?
There are numerous companies doing coatings for LCDs, maybe someone can do
batches of our Newton LCDs.

There's a basic problem with coatings in-general: you need special
facilities in order to apply polarizers, coatings, and certain kinds of
reflectors. Most companies that do this kind of work will operate on batches
of product. But Newton users don't want to part with their units for very
long - so anyone offering this service would have to have a stock of LCDs
that they'd rotate in and out. All upgrades would need to be scheduled so
that no Newtons arrived for upgrade when there were no coated LCDs on-hand.

-- Calvin