Re: [NTLK] NTK and MacOS X

From: Jim Witte (jswitte_at_bloomington.in.us)
Date: Sat Mar 16 2002 - 19:59:49 EST

I've got MacOS X 10.1.3 and Classic 9.2.1. The Classic Appletalk
control panel is set to connect through Ethernet, and the Computer name
in Classic's File Sharing panel set up to "iMac DV", which is what shows
up in NCU/NTK.

   The problem NTK has is that Classic doesn't identify as having a
serial port, so NTK quits (even if it's set to use Appletalk). There's
a control panel named PortShareby Stalker Software (<dry humor>catchy
name..) which will get around this by letting you create virtual ports.
I installed the demo (2.7.1, which is enough) and set up one name
Remote, which is a 'Shared Port' (as opposed to a 'Port Group' - there's
a radio group), and have 'AutoStatus mode' and "Output buffering" set.
You may have to set up the virtual port while booted into MacOS 9.

   NTK and NCU are both set to connect over Appletalk, over an Ethernet
connection. I have no idea how serial works, since I don't need it now
(NTK Inspector works over Appletalk), although when I start doing C++
development I'll need it as NewtsBug will only work on serial I'm told
(Paul, is there a way to hack it to work with ATalk - probably not..)

Jim