Re: [NTLK] Re - Recharging

From: Marco Mailand (Newton2k1_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Mar 15 2002 - 02:55:08 EST

> Due to some physical/chemical effects I'm too lazy to explain at this time
> of the day this can lead to reduced capacity.
If an accu is left connected to a charger all time a very small current will
flow into the cells to compensate the leak current and keep the thing
charged. Little current = smooth electrode surface, big current = rough
surface and a rough surface simply means more area. In the Newton the accus
are always be used in a mode which fits more to 'high current' and thus the
lifetime of the accu is mostly determined not by the memory effect but by
the normal wear of the electrodes due to uneven distribution of the chemical
processes. You think that it is the memory effect which degraded your accu
but it is in reality in the most cases a dying accu cell. Both effects have
similar characteristics.

--
With best Regards / Viele Gruesse!

Marco Mailand