Re: [NTLK] OT: pdf question

From: Joel M. Sciamma (joelsciamma_at_compuserve.com)
Date: Thu Mar 14 2002 - 16:01:39 EST

Mark,

> Is anyone familiar with the Adobe Acrobat pdf writer? I'm trying to
> figure out how to make a two page document that's not two separate
> pdf's, but one pdf.

I have Acrobat 6.0 for Mac which allows creation of pdf's via its printer
driver and also allows you to substantially edit and bookmark pdf's.

Documents can be any length and include anything that is printable. All
images are converted to JPEG's which is not always ideal but there are prefs
to allow you to optimise the process so it's acceptable.

I have been very impressed by the compatibility of the printer driver - it
will handle the output from very early Mac applications without a qualm and
some heavyweight stuff like CAD and the results are excellent.

Acrobat is very pricy, but it does make you much more independent as you can
use the apps. you prefer and then send the output to anyone with the Reader
and they can view and print it.

James Walker has a shareware program called PrintToPDF
<http://www.jwwalker.com/pages/pdf.html> which does a similar thing but it's
much more restricted in what it can do and render.

Joel.