Re: [NTLK] Taking notes on Newton

From: peter fraser (newtmanapple_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Mar 13 2002 - 15:04:41 EST

i was lucky enough to get access to Woz a few years
ago, and asked for his opinion of the Newt. I'll try
to find the actual email, but he said that the Newt
represented to him the perfect personal computer
(emphasis on personal) as he'd always envisioned it.

He did not, however, say that he has or uses one!

--- Ed Kummel <tech_ed_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

> Back in highschool (many years ago) I had a teacher
> who made a request that I type all of my assignments
> because my handwriting was an "uncrackable code" and
> she would give me an "F" on any papers she couldn't
> read...So, for the next 20 years, I never wrote more
> than two or three words longhand...Everything was
> typed. Even letters to girlfriends were typed (how
> romantic, huh?)
> Then when I got my first MP with os2.0, I was
> hooked!
> This thing recognized my scrawl! Since then I
> haven't
> looked back. I get 98-100% recognition (depending on
> if I'm in a hurry or in a bouncy car or not) and
> with
> recognition enhancements (alt.rec) and customizing
> expansions (recognize the word "tne" as "the") I can
> comfortably take notes at any meeting, write out any
> URL or dial any phone number all with handwriting.
> I've said this on this list before...the entire
> point
> of a "Personal Device" is to adapt itself to your
> way
> of working, not the other way around. I refuse to
> modify my behaviour just so some mechanical device
> can
> function properly. That really doesn't make sense.
> Hey...I just though of this...the Newton isn't a
> "revolutionary" device, it's an "evolutionary"
> device...it adapts!
> .Ed
> web/gadget guru
> http://newton.tek-ed.com (download Newton packages)
> http://65.84.243.167 (my NPDS server)
>
> --- James Lopez <jimmlop_at_mac.com> wrote:
> >
> > I'm waiting on my MP 130 (mailed payment off
> today)
> > and I'm wondering
> > about HW recognition. As you all are probably
> aware
> > taking notes is
> > pretty impractical on a palm. Well at least on my
> > Palm Pilot (model
> > that came out right before Palm III) with palm OS
> > 2.0.
> >
> > After reading the list here and other articles, it
> > seems that it pretty
> > easy to actually take notes and such on the MP.
> Is
> > this really the
> > case? How much easier is it?
> >
> > This is one main reason I'm getting the Newton and
> > hope that the
> > impression I've gotten from everyone here is
> right.
> >
> > Thanks for all the responses to my earlier newbie
> > question.
> >
> > Jim Lopez
>
> =====
> Just because you're a genius, doesn't make you a
> smart guy!
> - The Powerpuff Girls -

> Try FREE Yahoo! Mail - the world's greatest free
> email!
> http://mail.yahoo.com/
>
> --
> Read the List FAQ/Etiquette:
> [...]