Re: [NTLK] Mad Max problems

From: speedy2 (speedy2_at_dag.net)
Date: Wed Mar 13 2002 - 13:56:34 EST

On Wed, 13 Mar 2002, [ISO-8859-1] Alexander Oberdrster wrote:

> Well, that doesn't help if the iPAQ can play 128 kbps MP3s with no
> problems and the Newton can't. As you may know, MHz is not everything ;)
>
> And isn't sound playback faster, too? (chipmunk effect)

Well, it's not *just* the MHz. The StrongARM used in the iPaq, the
SA-1110, includes an SDRAM interface(on-chip) which the iPaq most
certainly uses. IIRC, the SDRAM on the iPaq runs @ 66MHz and can burst
upto 8 words.

Contrast this to the Newton where the SA-110 uses the Voyager for slower
EDO memory access. By some accounts, the Voyager needs 7 bus cycles to
complete a memory access, which can be a huge bottleneck...

And not to nitpick Ed, but "mHz" would be milliHz, I suspect you meant
"MHz".

Thanks,
Speedy2.