Re: [NTLK] newtontalk Digest V2 #212

From: Donald Hindle (donald.hindle_at_verizon.net)
Date: Wed Mar 13 2002 - 11:07:38 EST

On 3/13/02 8:52 AM, "newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net" <newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net>
wrote:

> I'm waiting on my MP 130 (mailed payment off today) and I'm wondering
> about HW recognition. As you all are probably aware taking notes is
> pretty impractical on a palm. Well at least on my Palm Pilot (model
> that came out right before Palm III) with palm OS 2.0.
>
> After reading the list here and other articles, it seems that it pretty
> easy to actually take notes and such on the MP. Is this really the
> case? How much easier is it?
>
> This is one main reason I'm getting the Newton and I hope that the
> impression I've gotten from everyone here is right.
>
> Thanks for all the responses to my earlier newbie question.
>
> Jim Lopez

I am a total Newton Newbie (got it Friday) and just started using my
messagepad 2000 (2100 upg) to take notes. I'm having a little trouble with
'a's but we are making progress (the Newt recognizes 'em maybe 25% of the
time which Is better than the 0% I got when I started). I found I get almost
perfect results when I am at home writing on it. When I took it to classes
on Tuesday the recognition went way down because I was hurrying. Still, I
was able to keep up just fine with class (the guy nest to me was just amazed
when he saw the Newton recognize my handwriting). Don't get discouraged if
the writing practice doesn't go well, I found it much easier writing on the
messagepad apps than in handwriting practice. The other thing I noticed is
that on letters with circles- apodbq, I have to slow down just a hair so the
Newt doesn't think I'm trying to do a gesture to select a line.

I love the datebook, too. I am a total scatterbrain sometimes and having the
alarms set for all my activities keeps me on time.

One other thing, the backlight really sucks juice, so avoid it if at all
possible. The battery indicator on my Newt barely moves in a day of use but
I ran it down almost completely one evening using the backlight. The
backlight hums just like the FAQ says but I only notice mine in a -very-
quiet room.

Good luck and have fun!

Donald Hindle