Re: [NTLK] MP2x00 Display Upgrade - latest update

From: Marco Mailand (Newton2k1_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Mar 13 2002 - 02:36:20 EST

> I'm not expecting that you will have the answer, but do you have any idea
> why Apple decided to go with a green EL, since from your explanations, it
> seems that white is the obvious choice?
I don't know the true reasons but I think in 1995 there was possibly not
much choice beside the princing issues.
And there's another point: By chance I got yesterday a sheet of white EL
foil and two inverters and started to check'em briefly. The 11x16" EL foil
(e.g. 4 times the Newton display size) drew 500mA (!!!) on the primary side
of the inverters. This is 20 (!!!) times more than the green Newton EL
draws. Of course a smaller piece, which I cut later out to about the
dimensions of the Newton drew less current but with 50mA was it still 2.5
times more than the current green EL. It is geek and it is gleeming white
and super cool but it simply shortens the battery lifetime by 2.5 times if
it is on.
Remark: The above 50mA is the increase if I connected the white EL instead
of the built-in green EL and used the battery current monitor of Avi's BD.
With the original inverter and a 9V DC power supply the EL drew 100mA
primary current and was a bit brighter than with the Newton HV drive.
On all the display upgrade talk we shouldn't forget to check the technical
data of the EL too. Maybe Calvin Grier found another EL manufacturer than
I've used (http://www.beingseen.com/).

--
With best Regards / Viele Gruesse!

Marco Mailand