Re: [NTLK] Mad Max problems

From: speedy2 (speedy2_at_dag.net)
Date: Tue Mar 12 2002 - 19:32:52 EST

On Tue, 12 Mar 2002, Jeremy Bond Shepherd wrote:

> The sound quality ain't great, but I don't know of any other completely
> self-contained streaming MP3 player. The newt does Ethernet, TCP/IP, HTTP,
> MP3, and a speaker. So basically anywhere there's a 10BaseT connection to
> the Internet and a DHCP server, I can plug Newton in and play streaming
> audio from the web with no additional anything required.
>
> As far as I know, there's nothing else even close to this for an all-in-one
> Internet Radio player. If I'm missing something, please let me know!

Well, the Compaq iPaq for one can do all of this. It supports CF slots,
and CF modems/Ethernet cards exist. It also plays MP3s (128kbps and
faster, full ISO compliant decoding) and has headphone jacks for "CD
quality" audio-out. All of this can be done with the WinCE that comes on
the device (though I won't even go into how WinCE sux here).

Technically, running Linux, the iPaq could run Apache (web server), play
MP3s, use any cross-compiled Linux/UNIX TCP/IP application and if dual-CF
slots were present, even operate as a router!

Granted this is off topic, but you did ask for a counter example, right?

Speedy2.