Re: [NTLK] Hard reset - Who Does 'em?

From: Jeremy Bond Shepherd (jbond_at_eskimo.com)
Date: Tue Mar 12 2002 - 18:17:11 EST

At 09:33 PM 3/12/2002 +0100, you wrote:
>Curiousity: Does anyone ever do a brain wipe and reinstall stuff, just to
>get a clean system? Having installed and tried so many shareware things
>that I didn't keep, my system kind of reminds me of a windows box that you
>uninstall things from but all those annoying supporting files and
>associations are left behind. God love mac's for uninstalls. Anyway - is
>it too much of a pain, or do folks do it.

Lots of apps stash information in the System Soup, which you'll lose when
you do your brainwipe. Two that come to mind are More Folders from
Standalone (you'll lose all your folder definitions) and the entire suite
of Tactile software (you'll lose registration and will have to either
obtain a new reg code from Tactile or find an underground method of
re-registering those packages).

Macs are kind of the same way. You can reinstall your System and all the
apps, but your prefs will get blown out, as well as any other data that was
stored in the System Folder (ugh, Eudora used to save your mail in the
system folder by default. Thank goodness they stopped that nonsense!)

-Jeremy