Re: [NTLK] MP2x00 Display Upgrade - latest update

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Mar 12 2002 - 17:03:57 EST

Awesome...just awesome!
One question though...have you given any thought to
using the holographic display? I don't know if I'm
saying this correctly, but I'm thinking of those
displays that are used for pagers and the like that do
not need a backlight to view. You just tilt the device
and it uses existing lighting to enhance the display.
I've seen this on my 2-way pager and the Motorola
Envoy150. This is also identified as "monochrome
holographic LCD reflectors". There is a white paper on
this:
http://www.dupont.com/holographics/tech/tech6.pdf
I think that the addition of an Holographic Reflector
to my existing Newton's display would be a marked
improvement.
Ed
web/gadget guru
http://65.84.243.167 (my NPDS server)

--- Calvin Grier <cgrier_at_ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> Here's the situation:
>
> We've got the first small batch of touchscreens
> in-hand. These touchscreens
> were engineered and produced to be form, fit, and
> functional replacements
> for the Mp2x00 series MessagePads. They are being
> made-to-order by a
> touchscreen producer in the states. The optical
> characteristics of these
> units have not been tested yet.
>
> We have also worked with a backlight manufacturer to
> produce a white
> backlight that fits the MP2x00 LCD module. It can
> replace older
> Newton-green backlights. These are currently
> in-production and will arrive
> in about two weeks. The backlights are designed and
> produced to fit the
> MP2x00, and provide a pleasing white color for
> easier reading. Two solder
> tabs are provided to allow connection of the
> existing messagepad backlight
> power wires. Note: all EL white backlights generate
> less light
> than the original green backlights. However,
> soft-white is much easier on
> the eyes than
> bright green.
>
> At this point I am NOT ready to take orders.
> However, if there are
> individuals who have MP2x00 Newtons that are dead or
> non-functional due to
> touchsceen failures - please contact me.
>
> I will update the NTLK list when the MP2x00 white
> backlights arrive. (I
> should have about 40 of these to sell.)
>
> I have made an update with pictures to the Display
> Upgrade web site:
> http://pw2.netcom.com/~cgrier

=====
- The Powerpuff Girls -