Re: [NTLK] best pen for Newton - reprise

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Mar 11 2002 - 15:54:28 EST

I did something similar with some Delrin stock I had
handy. Check out my email in the
archive:http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=newtontalk&m=100606477021405&w=2
from way back in November.
I had thought about using some teflon, but it was way
too soft and I didn't want the tip to pickup any dirt
that may reside on the screen! I settled on some
teflon impregnated Delrin and made a tip (I no longer
use it though...I got a PDA Panache to replace my
other pen)
Ed
web/gadget guru
http://65.84.243.167 (my NPDS server)

--- Darl Singh <darl_at_xpress.net.nz> wrote:
> Following on from this topic a short while ago - a
> different take:
> I manage an Engineering shop and have 'converted'
> the rest of the Management team to Newts - 3x2000's
> and a 120.
> My Foreman broke the nib off his standard '2000 pen
> yesterday, so we went looking for alternatives: came
> up with 2.
> We machined a tip from ea material, fitted one to
> his pen, one to my backup (2x00 series) pen:
>
> UHMWPE (Ultra High Molecular Weight PolyEthylene) -
> softer than PTFE, but not as nice a writing 'feel'
> IMO - tended to
> 'grab' a little. Phill liked it more tho - thought
> it felt more 'pencil-like'.
> PTFE ('Teflon' or one of a number of other
> tradenames) - much softer than the original pen tip
> (think this was PVC?) and
> smooooth to write with - actually a nicer feel than
> my Cross Digital-Writer: I am a convert!
>
> This is not a job for the 'home handyman' unless you
> have a lathe - but if you do, I _heartily_ recommend
> it: for the
> first time in about 4 years, my Digital Writer has
> been dumped from the pen silo with this mod
> replacing it.
>
> Email me direct if anyone wants the 'quick 'n dirty'
> instructions: this really is a very smooth, somewhat
> soft pen that
> has a better feel than (many of) the alternatives
> and has to be better on the screen than the original
> (usual caveats re
> cleanliness etc).
>
> -D

=====