Re: [NTLK] Ethernet questions

From: John Ruschmeyer (jruschme_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Mar 11 2002 - 11:34:51 EST

Laurent Daudelin wrote:

> On 11/03/02 10:52, "John Ruschmeyer" <jruschme_at_mac.com> wrote:

>>1) Will the ATLAN driver presumably run with any NE2000 card or is it
>>hardcoded for certain ones? I have a Kingston EtherRX (KNE-PC2T) which
>>is a nice generic, low-power NE2000 card that I have used with an HP
>>200LX. Should it be recognized by the ATLAN driver?
>>

> No, the driver has to specifically announce what card it supports. If you're
> familiar with NTK, you could start with the NE2000 project and create a new
> project, providing the string that your card advertizes when it's inserted.
> Then, it would be a matter of putting that string in a specific place in the
> duplicated project, compile and install. Assuming the card would work with
> the commands in the NE2000 project, that is...

Understood. Now, if I could just find the source. It, like the WaveLAN
source, appears to have been removed.

>>2) I also have a 3Com 3C589C with the combo dongle. Assuming I only use
>>it on a 10BaseT network, would I have power issues because of the combo
>>dongle? Sould I be looking for a 10BaseT only dongle?
>>

> I don't know about this one.
>

>>3) Assuming both of the above will work, is there a *preferred* card to
>>use? If this were a PC, I'd go with the 3Com in a heartbeat, but is the
>>Farallon driver that much better?
>>

> I haven't heard that any driver would be better than the other one.
> Actually, I think there are drivers for the 3Com that need the Farallon
> driver to be installed...

IIRC, the 3C589C needs both the Farallon driver and a 3Com "enabler" to
be installed.

I think I was really wondering how good a job the driver did of using
the 3Com hardware. IIRC, the 3c589 is a lot better hardware than an
NE2000, but it's still only as good as its driver.

Thanks...
<<<john>>>