[NTLK] ATA Encouragement

From: Stefan Hassenstein (list.SH_at_gmx.de)
Date: Sat Mar 09 2002 - 06:15:20 EST

Recently i bought a 256MB CF-Card
in anticipation of Pauls ATA-Device-Handler.

First time i inserted in the Green
it doesnīt work: On inserting i got the failure -10059

(Sorry, thats not truly correct:
Inserted, ATA-Driver started, wants me partitionate,
tried it, failed and hanged...
After this procedure, after re-inserting...
this -10059 general card failure showed up)

I tried this card in my Digi-cam...Card failure.

Sent it back,
but the people say nothing is wrong,
anybody can read it...

Negotiated,
finally they sent it back to me,
this time with a Card-Reader (retec 5 in 1 USB-Drive)

Inserted the 256 Card in the Reader: no prob.
Into the Newt: ATA showed up: no partition.
Tried to partionate....failure again:

That was ATA saying bout the card:

501760 sectores
(245MB)
Kind: Cf or compatible
DMA: no
Queue: no
Model: SanDisk SDCFB-256
Serial: 12020105847
Version: Vdg 1.21
Mode: Memory
Width: 32bits

On partition: Sorry problem 341

hmmmm

back into the Card-Reader:
THIS time the Card-Reader couldnīt read any
information, asked me to initialize it.
Three versions available: Mac Standard, Mac Extended, Dos

Tried Mac Extended.... ATA couldnīt understand.
Next time tried Mac Standard....and voila !

ATA succeeded. This time i could partionate.

Waiting desperatly now for the full version
to go beyond this 4 MB...

Two points: ATA only recognizes only 245 of 256 MB...
a loss of 11MB (well...if the rest is working i could live with that)

A device-handler to read the CF-Card on the Mac would be
a real knock-out :)))

Greetings,
Stefan

PS: The card reads: Scandisk 256MB Compactflash

--
Stefan Hassenstein - stef_at_orpheus.s.bawue.de