Re: [NTLK] Wireless LAN FAQ

From: Alexander Oberdörster (oberdoer_at_uni-duesseldorf.de)
Date: Thu Mar 07 2002 - 19:32:40 EST

> I think the document needs to clarify the issue of operating modes.
> There are basically three modes that a WaveLAN card can operate in:
> 1) BSS/Infrastructure/Access Point mode. This is the mode where
> 2) Ad-Hoc Demo Mode (AHDM).
> 3) Independent Basic Service Set (IBSS).

Ah. Thanks for pointing that out. I read about that IBSS vs. AHDM a few
months ago, but I didn't know that Apple uses different modes in
different versions of the driver. I'll add this info.

But wait -- I could just set up a Wiki, so we can all work on the FAQ
together. What do you think?

> Laurent, forgive me if I missed a previous response to the question,
> but how hard would it be to hack Hiroshi's driver to set the PortType
> to 1, instead of 3? That should put the card into a state where it
> could connect to an IBSS or *possibly* an Access Point.

This touches another question which is not answered yet (imho). Is the
source available? Where can it be found? Laurent said that it's on
Hiroshi's site, but I can't find it.

Alexander