Re: [NTLK] Wireless LAN FAQ

From: John Skinner (john_at_johnskinner.net)
Date: Thu Mar 07 2002 - 17:46:06 EST

Alexander Oberdörster wrote:

> I'm especially unsure about the Computer-to-Computer network in OS X
> (setting up OS X as a base station is simple, as the routing
> functionality as already built into the BSD layer). Help with the
> language is also appreciated. My english is very clumsy, I fear.

Good Job Alexander!

If you don't mind my addition to the FAQ,.... I just wanted to add that,

1.) You CAN install packages from a PC over Ethernet. See the Newton
Data Browser at:
http://www.tempel.org/newton/#DILplugin

2.) To get a Mac with the wireless 802.11b card to talk in the right
older "AdHoc" mode, you need specific versions of the driver software
for AirPort. AirPort 1.2 software in pre-Mac OS X systems. I'm not sure
of the correct version for OS X.

Later!

--
John Skinner