Re: [NTLK] Pen Alignment followup

From: Marco Mailand (Newton2k1_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Mar 06 2002 - 10:06:21 EST

> I took my new 2100 apart last night but could not figure out how to get
> at the screen. It seems to be buried deep underneath a pile of other
> stuff, and I couldn't remove that stuff. Has anyone else had experience
> getting to the screen layer? How do you do it?
I got well trained in that and just finished a MP2100
repair/modification/upgrade.
1. remove power and then the motherboard (5 or 6 screws)
2. remove all screws which hold the upper half of the battery compartement.
3. remove all connectors (MIC, Powerswitch, EL drive voltage, speaker and
white display ribbon cable as well as anything else which I forgot :-)
4. If you look onto the mainboard from the pen slot side then start lifting
it out just at the battery tray side and do release the snap-in holder
between the PCMCIA slots.
5. Lift the board about 2...3 cm (1") and then pull it left in order to get
the NIC connector out of its slot.
6. collect the IrDA port window and the blind plate for the lid ribbon cable
slot.
7. Now you can access another few screws which fix the display to the upper
half of the case.
8. The display is hold by some additional snap-in fixations, which are
easily opened.

If you want to get rid of jaggies you doesn't necessarily have to remove the
display. As soon as you removed the mainboard the flexible PCB (silver
material) is visible and it might be sufficient to clean only this and the
opposite gold contacts on the mainboard.

> I've discovered another problem with the 2100: the latch is basically
> broken -- it doesn't slide shut -- in fact it tries to spring to the
> "open" position.
What latch do you mean?

> if I can swap out the motherboard with my trusty MP2000.
This should be easily possible if you got that far. I always find it the
hardest to open the rear cover. The remaining disassembly is like icing on
the cake.

--
With best Regards / Viele Gruesse!

Marco Mailand