Re: [NTLK] MP 120 1.3 questions

From: Prabhakar Ragde (plragde_at_plg2.math.uwaterloo.ca)
Date: Wed Mar 06 2002 - 04:35:41 EST

Steven Frank wrote:

>You can install packages on your Newton over a USB-to-serial adapter
>natively in Mac OS X using the command-line UnixNPI, or my GUI version
>called NewTen:
>
>http://www.panic.com/~stevenf/index.php?node=NewTen

Thanks. I thought of a few more roundabout options; I remembered that
I have an Asante Ethernet-to-Appletalk box lying around somewhere; I
will try that. I can put packages on a Zip, transfer to an old drive
with SCSI interface, and then to an old PB170. Back at the more recent
end, booting into 9.2 to install packages is not so bad. NCK appears
to crash and burn when I try to run it under Classic.

It is really touching to see these kids so enthusiastic about
120s. They have a G3 sitting in their playroom with full broadband
Ethernet connectivity and a stack of CD-ROMs, yet they are sitting in
a corner playing Steve Weyer's PicoFermiBagels. They can't get the 120
HWR to write more than two words in a row properly, yet they are
asking whether they can read their e-mail using one. The funny thing
is that they don't do anything on them yet that I do with my
2100. Once they discover beaming (they refuse to read the manual,
preferring just to try things out) I'll have to peel the machines out
of their hands as they sleep. --PR