Re: [NTLK] Screen Misalignment and request for fixes

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Mar 05 2002 - 23:38:01 EST

You would need to use something that doesn't promote
oxidation. And since there are two dissimilar metals
touching, this is going to be difficult. Optimally,
you want something that will promote an electrical
connection.
Something like:
http://www.vandenhul.nl/other/c-care.htm

but I have seen other similar stuff at Microcenter.
It's not cheap, but worth it in the long run. Back in
my S-100 buss days, bad contacts were common. I used a
typewriter ink eraser (gee, do they make those
anymore) to burnish the contacts. The bonus is that
the eraser came with a brush. Then once the contacts
were free of contamination, I'ld coat the contacts in
contact fluid. This isolates the contacts from the air
and prevents oxidation, which happens almost
instantaneously! Now I use this fluid for all my
electrical contacts, especially low voltage
connections!
Ed
web/gadget guru
http://65.84.243.167 (my NPDS server)

--- Chris Chapman <pan1k_at_earthlink.net> wrote:

> What are you using to clean it with? I might give
> this a try!
>
> -Chris
> On Tuesday, March 5, 2002, at 02:42 AM, Heiko Cultus
> wrote:
>

> > I have only cleaned the contacts of the white
> cable coming from the
> > screen, that
> > is attached to the StrongARM with the adhesive
> tape (see
> > http://newton.tek-ed.com/newtspeed/img0002.htm)
> and only the side where
> > the
> > cable is attached to the mainboard.
> > My hole story on sunday was, that I had the screen
> misalignment, tried
> > the
> > businesscard trick, because it often had worked
> for me, but after that,
> > my
> > screen didn't work anymore, only the backlight was
> ok. So I opened my
> > Newton,
> > removed the white cable from the mainboard,
> attached it again and my
> > screen
> > worked again (yes, without the screen
> misalignment)
> >
> > Heiko
> >

> > "Smith, Bradley" wrote:
> >>
> >> Which contacts are we talking about here?
> >> I took mine apart and removed the ribbon
> connecting the screen to the
> >> main
> >> board and cleaned it. It did help a bit but it's
> still out of
> >> alignment. Do
> >> I need to clean some other contacts?
> >>
> >> Brad