Re: [NTLK] ethernet

From: speedy2 (speedy2_at_dag.net)
Date: Tue Mar 05 2002 - 17:48:17 EST

I feel you pain, it took me awhile to get it working as well...

On Tue, 5 Mar 2002, Josh Ormsby wrote:

> So I tried to use BasiliskII on my PC to get an ethernet connection and
> I have been frustrated again. I can see the virtual Mac from other
> computers on the network, and even from my Newt when I search, but when
> it is 'selected' and I tap 'connect' it cannot be found...

Can you at least verify that NIE/Ethernet on the Newton is setup
correctly?

I verify both using TactileFTP on the Newton. Basically I assign my Newton
a 192.168.x.x IP, and have it FTP to my Win2000 machine. If that works, at
I know NIE/Ethernet is working and I can install a few packages.

Note: You'll need to give you Win9x/NT machine a 192.168.x.x IP too if
the Newton is to see it.

Regarding getting Basilisk and Newton working, these are the things I
suggest you check:

On the Newton side, goto Prefs, AppleTalk and set it to EtherTalk and
select your NIC.

On the Basilisk/PC side check for a few things:

1. Make sure the PC side loop-back driver is installed (reboot to be sure)

2a. Goto the BasiliskGUI.exe, Ethernet panel and select your Network card
NDIS driver. If the right card has been selected, your NIC's MAC address
will appear under "Hardware address"

2b. Leave "optional fake hardware address" blank
2c. For multicast packets, put it in Promiscuous mode
2d. Select use current NIC address

3. Under memory, give your Basilisk machine at least 32MB, 64MB works well
if you can afford it.

MacOS side:
I suggest using Victor's 150MB System 7.5.5 image.

Once the Mac is booted, (from Victor's image) you should have to change
very litte:

1. Goto Sharing Setup under Control Panel, give your Mac name, and enable
File Sharing (I enabled Program Linking too, but I don't think it's
needed)

Once this has been done, launch NCU.

Newton side, goto Dock, choose AppleTalk, under "Connect to" choose "other
computers" and the Newton should start searching for MacOS machines. If
things were setup properly, it will find your Mac (it will list it by the
name you gave it under Sharing Setup) and things should work OK from
there.

As I posted on the list earlier, I was having problems getting NCU to
recognize Newton packages copied over from the PC side. You'll need to use
Steve Weyer's "PackType" and convert each package you want the Mac to
upload.

Due to above, it's my suggestion you avoid installing packages via the
emulated NCU, and try to use 57600 serial on the PC side if you can.

As a slight aside, I was trying to use Thomas Tempelmann's DIL Tester
(PC), but I couldn't get the Newton side TCP/IP Dock plug-in working. When
I try to get the Newton to connect, I keep getting "Dock, an error of an
unknown type has occured" then I get "TCP/IP Dock Transport No link setup
is defined" even though I have NIE setup (or so I think). An entry does
exist under Extras, Setup, Internet Setup, but I just re-setup this Newton
and I may have missed something.

> Ever since I switched from Win98 I have had problems connecting my Newt
> to anything and I just about had enough. This is not fun anymore.

You can try a hacked version of NCU that supports 57600 serial to upload
packages. I would suggest getting basic packages installed and then
perhaps using Thomas's DIL Tester to upload the rest(PC side). I think for
connectivity Basilisk is limited to doing backups, as you have to PackType
any package to be installed which is a pain.

If you're still having problems with Basilisk, contact me off-list, I'll
try to help.

Thanks,
Speedy2.