Re: [NTLK] Ethernet Card troubles

From: eric a . Farris (eafarris_at_bigfoot.com)
Date: Tue Mar 05 2002 - 10:19:15 EST

On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 09:56:45AM -0500, Laurent Daudelin wrote:

> On 05/03/02 09:40, "John Goggan" <jgoggan_at_dcg.com> wrote:
>
> > I put the card in and the connection light on the card immediately comes on.
> > I get the "Enet PC Card" box asking me if I want AppleTalk (which I don't).
> > If I just let it sit at that dialog box for a few seconds -- or if I tap the X
> > -- the light on the card goes out. It never stays on for me. Isn't this
> > normal behavior?
>
> I don't know. On my Farallon PN895, there is no light on the card, only on
> the cable connector, a small little green (!) LED. So, since I don't think I
> ever tried to insert the card with the cable connected, I decided to give it
> a go with the little 3 ways hub that Farallon provides. Lo and behold,
> immediately after I stick the card in, the light on the hub comes on. So,
> you are apparently right, at least for the Farallon cards.

i don't know if it should stay on or not. i've never had a Newton (or
any other PDA, ftm) on the ethernet.

here's what happens, step by step.

* Newton on, card goes in (with 'pigtail' and wired)
* Slip comes up recognizing card as "Megahertz 589E" (awesome!)
* Light on the pigtail stays on for approx. 10 seconds
  (light on the hub showing connection also says on for 10 sec)
* when i try to use a NIE-enabled app, like newtVNC, the connection slip
  opens, and i choose the ethernet connection i created with my static
  IP and stuff.
* none of the apps actually DO anything. the lights on the tail and hub
  stay off, and my hub sees no traffic from that address.

:( i want my Newtonian Ethernet!