Re: [NTLK] free newt paint

From: Stephen Jendraszak (stevehj_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Mar 05 2002 - 09:18:51 EST

On Tuesday, March 5, 2002, at 02:01 AM, Chris Chapman wrote:

> What about if you are a student and your parents bought the software,
> you can't, is it then your parents responsibility to buy the software,
> or is there truly a need for "student discounts"?

Well, first of all, this is all IMHO. But, being a college student, here
is my opinion. Student discounts are good business. By and large,
college students cannot afford the software they need to learn for their
studies (I am a double major in journalism and political science, so I
have that problem in both cases... Photoshop and MicroCase are both
very expensive!). However, if you give them a discount (or even free
software) now to learn the software, chances are they will be paying for
a commercial version, and several updates, once they are in the "real
world." There is a good return on investment, I think. On the other
hand, if the company does not offer an educational version for whatever
reason... well, at least at Ball State, all of the software we need for
our classwork is loaded on the computers in the labs on campus.

sj

http://homepage.mac.com/stevehj