Re: [NTLK] free newt paint

From: Alex (admeddemda_at_f-m.fm)
Date: Tue Mar 05 2002 - 00:12:48 EST

At 4:59 AM +0100 5/03/02, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net wrote:
>In addition it helps support the shareware philosophy across
>all platforms.
>-Chet

Sure, paying for shareware is a good thing. Seems like a fair
concept. You try, you like, you buy. But, there are some other
issues.... what about income disparity? Within North America, and
especially, in countries around the world where $20US is mucho$$$

I personally like the idea of NON-CRIPPLED shareware.... that way,
those who can, pay, and those who can't don;t get left out completely.
Sure, I know the argument goes, most ppl who can pay, won;t. But in
this Newton Community? I doubt that's true. And even if it is, my
first point is still factual. $20USD can be a lot of money in some
places and to some ppl.

So.... tips on how to get software for free, or for some hassle (as
in this case), should be welcomed on this list. I don;t see the
immorality here that other users obviously see.
I see more immorality in basing shareware fees on US dollars, and
having no sliding scale payment system, that takes into account the
very real differences in ppl's situations.

~Alex