Re: [NTLK] Newton.app

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Mon Mar 04 2002 - 17:51:34 EST

On 04/03/02 17:29, "Sean Luke" <sean_at_cs.gmu.edu> wrote:

> Laurent wrote:
>
>> "W. Kennedy" wrote:
>>>
>>> I found Newton.app for NeXT.
>>>
>>> Maybe, with a little grit and elbow grease, a port to OS X can be done.
>>
>> I'll have a look at it.
>
> Beat you to it. Here's the deal: Newton.app looks like it'll be a
> fairly trivially ported app to Cocoa (it's in Openstep-style
> Retain/Release/Autorelease, rather than old NeXTSTEP-style alloc/free).
> The old PB.project file imported fine into ProjectBuilder as well; I
> haven't checked the .nib files but imagine they'll port fine too.
> That's the good news.
>
> Now the bad news. The Newton.app source code relies on a library called
> "TCKit", which was probably the author's private library. TCKit is not
> distributed online -- I don't know if we can get access to the source
> without $$$. I've sent mail to the TCKit author and we'll see.
>
> Sean

Ah, thanks for beating me to the finish line! Now, you'll be responsible for
it ;-)

-Laurent.

BUAG // n.: [abbreviation, from alt.fan.warlord] Big Ugly ASCII Graphic.
Pejorative term for ugly ASCII art, especially as found in sig blocks. For
some reason, mutations of the head of Bart Simpson are particularly common
in the least imaginative sig blocks. See warlording.