Re: [NTLK] What would it take to get a true 802.11 solution?

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Mon Mar 04 2002 - 16:59:23 EST

Benjamin Higginbotham wrote:

> It sounds like it is possible to get a Newton to talk to an Airport=20
> network, base station and all. It also sounds like one would be able to=20=
>
> transfer packages, check their e-mail, and maybe even surf the web.
>
> If I were a programmer I would be working on this as we speak; alas, I=20=
>
> am not (but I'm thinking about it). That being said, does anyone have=20=
>
> the time, effort, and experience to make this project work? I have a=20
> feeling that a *lot* of Newton fans would love to be able to get on a=20
> wireless network and play around.
>
> Would people be willing to buy such a thing? Am I going on a quest that=20=
>
> is just not worth it? How long would such a venture take?
>
> If someone makes the program, I can host it on my server and bandwidth=20=
>
> for free if need be. Just a thought.
>
> Anyone?

Ben,

This has been debated in the past and quite a few people indicated that
they would kill to have such functionality. Problem is, you have to use
code that wasn't initially for using in writing a Newton driver, and use
a driver shell for which there is no support. On the top of that, I just
realized that by trading my Wallstreet for a Pismo, I lost my serial
port that is needed for low level debugging (and only God (maybe Paul G.
too) knows how hard it is to have this setup working.

Anybody did driver development under OS X without any serial port (using
a Keyspan or otherwise adapter)???

-Laurent.

mailto:Laurent_Daudelin_at_fanniemae.com             Washington, DC,
USA
"Heuristics are bug ridden by definition. If they didn't have bugs,
then they'd be algorithms."