[NTLK] Donation of Older Newts

From: Aaron (revnewton_at_mac.com)
Date: Sat Mar 02 2002 - 22:48:49 EST

Hello all!

I'm going to be starting a research project as an undergrad working on
a a
new PDA operating environment. Its aim is a extensible, literate, and
above all, dynamic and personal PDA operating environment. Something
very
different than the other options out there today, with the exception of
the Newton. It's not going to be a poor attempt at miniturizing a
desktop
operating system, an underpowered toolkit for an electronic organizer,
nor
is it a cheap hack so slaskkids could run an xterm on a PDA. However,
it's not going to be a superficial imitation of the Newton OS, but a
system that borrows from the Newton where it makes sense.

Essentially, it's the vision of Alan Kay and the Dynabook, taken to the
level of a PDA.

The target platform for the time being is a Compaq iPAQ, but the system
is
written using Squeak Smalltalk, a cross platform implementation of the
Smalltalk language. So, while I develop it under Mac OS X and Linux and
deploy on WinCE, it will be usable anywhere Squeak runs, be it on Mac OS,
Linux (desktop or PDA!), Windows, Acorn RISC OS, WinCE, *BSD, among many
others.

What I am interested in is getting a hold of a Newton with the resolution
of 320_at_240. Running either NOS 1.x or 2.x, 2.x being preferred for
obvious reasons. But if I had both a 1.3 and a 2.0 device, it might also
show what Apple learned between those iterations of the NOS. I'm
interested in something very cheap, or free + shipping. Physical
condition isn't important. As long as it powers up, the screen works
and can take input, I'll take it.

A preliminary webpage is up at http://spe.sf.net. The grant proposal
will
be up on the page by tommorow evening. This isn't a cheap trick to get a
free Newton, if you have any question, feel free to email me.

Thanks for your time!

Regards,
Aaron