Re: [NTLK] Postscript drawing on the Newton??

From: Grant [Foothillier] Hutchinson (grant_at_splorp.com)
Date: Sat Mar 02 2002 - 17:12:05 EST

In a previous message, Robert Benschop typed vigorously:

>> Is it possible to save PostScript files from the Newton?
>
>I'm no PostScript expert, but AFAIK the fonts of the newton will print very
>well on a PostScript printer, but maybe that wasn't your question at all ?

There is no PostScript generating code in the Newton. The fonts print
nicely to PostScript printers because the internal font naming tables of
the Newton bitmap fonts are mapped to PostScript outlines with
equivalent, but not identical, metrics (spacing, kerning, character
widths, etc.) that are built into the printer.

One of the vector drawing applications available (not the NewtonWorks
draw stationary) may allow you to export a vector file format that
Illustrator can understand (like DXF).

There was a recent thread on this list regarding vector drawing
applications for the Newton. You might want to check it out:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=101361487400001

g.

Grant Hutchinson Interface Considerations & Toys

Live video served fresh since 1996. http://www.splorp.com/cam/
Now fortified with daily ramblings. http://www.splorp.com/blog/
Newton. It's the Palm with a brain. http://www.splorp.com/newton/