Re: [NTLK] (No X-Sender: jbond@pop3.eskimo.com

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Sat Mar 02 2002 - 04:46:53 EST

Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2002 10:37:05 +0100
From: Robert Benschop <rbenschop_at_mac.com>

>on 01-03-2002 6:52, Jeremy Bond Shepherd at jbond_at_eskimo.com wrote:
>
>> If you remove the card while the Newton is rebooting it's exactly as
>> harmful as rebooting.
>>
>> How harmful is that?
>
>What I remember from a posting of Paul Guyot of quite a while back he stated
>that even a soft reset is possibly harmful to your Newt.

Well, there is a misunderstanding here.
It is equally harmful to remove a card while rebooting than simply
rebooting with the card in. Just because the harm (well, I shouldn't
use that word) as been done already (by the reset).
But I don't mean it is very harmful at all, and in fact, the only
risk for your data in a soft reset is that the last changes haven't
been committed (typically you would lose the last sentences you wrote
if you wrote them just before the reset).

Hence my suggestion if a problem occurs with a card (like Paul
Filmer's recent experience with Heaven or Hell) to reboot and remove
the card while the Newton is rebooting (technically, the card isn't
read before all the packages on the internal store have been loaded,
so you normally have a lot of time to remove it). I've been doing
this several times, and it's much better than removing the card while
the Newton is running and do a reset before it might ask you to put
it back.

Now, it's only my experience and my interpretation as you outlined it
Robert. Your mileage may vary.

Paul

--
Looking for time. Please make an offer. Serious sellers only.
No need to ask, I won't trade my soul, I don't have any.