Re: [NTLK] [ANN] Newted Community Temporarily Down

From: Grant [Reset Parameters] Hutchinson (grant_at_splorp.com)
Date: Fri Mar 01 2002 - 15:30:16 EST

In a previous message, Ken Whitcomb typed vigorously:

>> If there are any Linux/Unix gurus out there who can help me determine why
>> user account .pop and .lock files keep reappearing after they've been
>> deleted from /home/spool/mail, I'd appreciate some insight.
>
>Hmm, sounds like you might need to kill all processes of sendmail (or
>whatever mail server you're running). Is it possible that you've a rogue
>process running somewhere? The only time I see this sort of thing is
>when I haven't killed all of the processes that are running.

Well, looking at top, there's a heck of a pile of procmail and sendmail
processes instigated by a handful of owners that are tying things up.

I just shut the mail services down manually, deleted all of the .pop and
.lock files one more time, and remote rebooted the machine. Keep your
fingers crossed.

Thanks for the info.

g.

Grant Hutchinson Interface Considerations & Toys

Live video served fresh since 1996. http://www.splorp.com/cam/
Now fortified with daily ramblings. http://www.splorp.com/blog/
Newton. It's the Palm with a brain. http://www.splorp.com/newton/