Re: [NTLK] OT humidity

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_comcast.net)
Date: Sun Jun 30 2002 - 20:47:29 EDT

somewhere near the temporal coordinates of 6/29/02 10:07 PM, the entity
known as Mark Ross transmitted the following from markr13_at_comcast.net:

> In the example of water (solute) in air (solvent), the amount maximum
> amount of water that can be held at a given temperature and pressure is
> called 100% relative humidity. It is not possible to hold more than that
> as the air is saturated with water in this state.

I think that if we want to be truly correct, air is not a solvent and water
is not a solute. Humidity has to do with thermodynamics and phase changes
and isn't really chemistry in the way that term is generally used.

- Eric.