Re: [NTLK] Abandonware (from New 2100 on eBay)

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Sun Jun 30 2002 - 00:46:45 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: Joshua Johnston <flagg_at_midmaine.com>
To: newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net <newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net>
Date: Thursday, June 27, 2002 6:05 PM
Subject: Re: [NTLK] Abandonware (from New 2100 on eBay)

>Seeing how I'm still waiting for my first Newton to arrive from Canada,
>I have no way of evaluating the functionality of any of these
>applications. :) It looks like some of the codes, such as one for
>NewtHack 1.0 are just number-based. Maybe before people started using
>the Newton's serial key?

Actually many are tied to the name of the newt aka the name on the owner
card. And once you register it under a certain name, if you change the name
to something else the program no longer works till you change it back. I
know that most do it this way. Use an algorithm based on that name you
supply at the time of purchase. This is also I think the best way as your
newt may die and you get another and then the serial's don't match and your
program you paid for no longer works....and if you can't get a hold of the
developer you are sunk. But if it is just keyed to the name then it works
no problem :)

-Dan