Re: [NTLK] What is a Newton friendly site

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Jun 27 2002 - 00:13:47 EDT

First off. Realize that not everyone us using
NewtScape. Those of us who are using Net Hopper are
the lowest common denominator.
Here is what you CAN'T do:
No frames
No Tables
No client side scripting (this means Javascript or
VBScripting or even Java-classes)
No JPG images
No Marquee tag (you should be shot if you use it
anyway)
No Host headers. If you don't have an IP pointing to
it's own website, then it won't work.
No Cascading style sheets
No XML
No Flash
Minimize graphics. The Newton's heap usually cannot
handle more than 3-4 mid-sized graphics at any given
time.

Here is what you can do:
Serverside scripting (Cold Fusion, ASP, PHP)
ALT tags on all images. Especially those images that
are links.
Just basic plain old HTML is all you should use.
Nothing fancy. For an example, if you visit my page:
http://newton.tek-ed.com with your Newton, you will
get a list of software packages if you run Net hopper.
If you run NewtScape, you'll see several tables.
I wrote the page to be visible with both browsers.
If you goto
http://newton.tek-ed.com/lotr, you will see a page
that takes a form entry and using Cold Fusion, stores
the information in a database and forwards the browser
to a second secure page. This second page is only
accessible from the first page. Using Cold Fusion
session variables I am able to maintain a secure
connection.

As far as size is concerned...well if you stick with
the basic tenents of HTML, the page should
automatically size for the Newt's screen...

I hope this helps you in your development
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- Thomas Hofts <thofts_at_mac.com> wrote:

> on 6/26/02 4:01 PM, Peter Cameron at
> pdwc_at_sympatico.ca wrote:
>

> > Thomas Hofts <thofts_at_mac.com> wrote:
> >
> >> over the weekend I hacked together a web site
> that
> >> basically collected a bunch of quicklinks that
> >> would have helped me out when started.
> >
> > My main objection is that it's not
> Newton-friendly.
> >
> > Peter
> >

> I'm thinking of putting up dual sites. One the
> java- graphic intensive page
> and the other a simpler, non-frames smaller graphic
> site. Content would be
> the same on both.
>
> Question..is there a particular page size that
> qualifies as Newton friendly?
> Any example url's?
>
> --
> Tom Hofts
>
> thofts_at_mac.com
>
> Visit my homepage at:
>
> http://homepage.mac.com/thofts

=====
"I believe that viewers who skip television commercials are Thieves who are guilty of Stealing network programming"
 - Jamie Keller CEO/Chairman Turner Broadcasting