Re: [NTLK] [OT] up in the sky

From: Mark Rollins (mark_at_mrollins.com)
Date: Mon Jun 24 2002 - 10:51:48 EDT

> Subject: Re: [NTLK] [OT] up in the sky
> From: "Eric L. Strobel" <fyzycyst_at_comcast.net>
--snip--

> I believe it's at the Dulles facility, which is due to open up in a few
> years or so.
>
>> I'm just glad that there are a few still flying. There are some
>> aircraft that should never become completely extinct; the SR-71 is
>> one of them. (The B-29 is another -- currently only one in the world
>> in flying condition, but apparently soon to be joined by a second.)
>
> At the risk of propelling this off-topic discussion further... It would be
> great to see a B-36 flying.
>
> - Eric.

There's an SR-71 at the Air Force museum at Wright Patterson AFB.

There's also my personal favorite, the XB-70 Valkyrie: purported to be some
to be faster than the SR-71, originally designed to be nuclear-powered. The
sole survivor is Wright Pat, too. Saw it as a kid at Edwards AFB (Air Force
brat) and it makes the SR-71 look like a go-kart.

http://aeroweb.brooklyn.cuny.edu/specs/northam/xb-70.htm