Re: [NTLK] Hello all!

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Sun Jun 23 2002 - 17:02:38 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Benschop <rbenschop_at_mac.com>
To: NewtonTalk <newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net>
Date: Sunday, June 23, 2002 3:41 PM
Subject: Re: [NTLK] Hello all!

>on 23-06-2002 7:43, Jon Glass at jonglass_at_mac.com wrote:
>
>> I forgot. There is also a utility by the same person, called "Freezeman"
>> which allows for freezing and thawing groups of icons. This way, you
>> wouldn't have to move them out of the Extensions folder to make freezing
and
>> thawing easier.
>
>Please stay clear of FreezeMan, though I use and have used a lot of
>Standalone's stuff and overall most is very good, FreezeMan was one of the
>few apps that ever managed to really screw up my Newt.
>
>I once posted about this on the list and the number of negative reactions
>made me even stronger in my belief that it's buggy.
>
>I did use NewtCase's Extension Manager (or was it Package Manager ? they
>both come with NewtCase) but in the end bought a 2100 and stopped using
>LunaSuite so didn't really need it anymore.
>
>BTW, NewtCase comes with Gesture Launch that is probably the best interface
>ad on utility for the Newt, tied with Dash Board in my humble opinion ;-)

Well standalone does have one simple freeze program that does work. Very
simple and only does one package at a time, and has a few other simple ones.
I think it is the only one they have freeware.

But I agree with you that Extension Manager is MUCH better. That is the
best package mangement program I have seen. I use it all the time. You can
even set it to feeze (or thaw) certain packages after a reset, at power on
and other events. One thing I have really found handy is the ablity to make
a "set" a icon in extras drawer. Saves you from opening the extension
package and selecting various menus from there. Really sweet :)

Guesture Launch is also a great program. On my 130 I couldn't spare the
space as I had other packages I used more often. BUT I am lookin forward to
having it available for use on my 2100 ;)

All of ICS's sofware is great. Most of it was programed by Dan Rowley, he
use to be on the list I don't know if he still is. He also wrote X-port,
which is 100x better in importing or exporting of info from your newt than
the connection kit. It does not do a full backup as connviently, but if you
have a picture, a email, note, or preaty much any sort page that has a
routing buttion you can export it. It will also do bulk exporting/importing
if you want.

I bought both Newtcase and Xport as a deal ICS had going at the time. I
think it was around $50, could have been higher, I don't remember but it was
a smart move on my part. I use those programs more than any other on a
daily basis. :)

-Dan