[NTLK] I just got a Newton! And now for some questions.

From: Nicholas Gillock (creamedpossum_at_carolina.rr.com)
Date: Fri Jun 21 2002 - 01:27:47 EDT

Well, I've been wanting one for awhile, so I finally bought one off of
ebay. There's only a couple of problems I've found with it. I hear you
guys talking about "jaggies". And that this has something to do with
the screen. The Newton I just got has a problem where when you right it
is edgy and it kind of makes the lines I write jump. Is this what you
are talking about? If so, is there anyway to fix it? The screen also
won't align very well, the right side (side with PCMCIA cars) is always
off. Another question I've got it about how to synch it up with my
powerbook. The Newton has very little software. My powerbook is a G3
333mhz computer. I don't have a clue how to connect them. I have been
reading all of the online FAQ's and I've found it can be done basically
through serial, IR, or Ethernet. My problem is, I don't have serial,
and to use one of the other two methods, I have to first get some other
piece of software onto the Newton, therefore running my in circles.
I'll probably end up getting the SER-001 things so I don't have to worry
about a dongle (I hate dongles!). But how do I get it connected to the
powerbook to install software on it. Lastly, my battery doesn't last
very long (under 24 hours). Can they be refurbished? Well, I guess
that was more than a couple questions, but you all seem to know your
stuff when it comes to newtons.

Nick