Re: [NTLK] Anybody a lawyer - getting the battery molds from BTI..

From: Chris Ruprecht (chrup_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Jun 15 2002 - 22:49:46 EDT

Hey Jim,

it can't be that difficult to make some molds of your own. I have to
admit that I have never tried it myself, but I have seen similar things
performed (on TV) and it didn't look too hard. I would think, you would
start out making a mold out of silicone, from the original battery. Then
a second mold out of plaster - which would resemble half of the battery
casing - one for top, one for bottom and a third one for the little cap
which is visible from the outside.
Then you'd make the final one out of some harder material which
resembles the silicone one. What material that would be, I don't know
but for a Newton, Gold seems ok ;). You probably have to do some
engineering (filing, polishing, etc) as well.

Now if we do it all 21st centure, you'd get out your 3D object scanner,
then your 3D modeling software and finish up what the scanner dragged in
from looking at the original battery, after which you insert a block of
solid steel into a small hole and after a few minutes and some rumbling,
the finished product drops out of the slot in the bottom.

I think, I'm watching too much StarTrek ...

Chris

On Saturday, June 15, 2002, at 09:30 , Jim Witte wrote:

> Is anybody here a IP lawyer or know one? I'm trying to find out if
> there's any reasonable chance I could get BTI to sell me the molds for
> the discontinued NT-2000 battery. I called them and talked to some
> engineer person, who either didn't understand what I wanted, or
> proverbially "laughed me out of the parlor". He also hinted that the
> production was done oversees (something about "the molds being made
> oversees") so for all I know they may be sitting in some warehouse in
> China.. or melted down to be recycled.
>
> At the small business seminar i went to the other day, the instructor
> person said that she thought there would be licensing issues involved,
> which would make it prohibitively expensive - which I think is nuts
> since the Newton hasn't been made for 5 years and probably never will be
> made again, certainly not with that exact battery configuration - but
> hey, I'm not a management type ("but NOOO - that IP is worth *money* to
> us!!")
>
> Jim Witte
> jswitte_at_indiana.edu
> After Midnight Lizard
>

> --

Chris Ruprecht
1505 Fort Clark Boulevard #1-205 * Gainesville, FL 32606
E-mail: chrup_at_earthlink.net