Re: [NTLK] [Still way off topic] USA Qualify!

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Jun 14 2002 - 14:22:21 EDT

on 6/14/02 4:14 PM, Jesse Garnier at jgarnier_at_mac.com wrote:

> Poland? At the end of the day, the U.S. may have indeed been the
> 4th-best team in the group, and instead they advance.

No, I'm afraid that honor goes to Poland. :-) I think that you had today,
that happy serendipity that occurs in sports. It is difficult to know how
motivation can make a difference, but I think that in both games, motivation
made the difference. Poland _really_ needed a win, so as to leave their
first WC finals without a solid goose egg, and a trump over the US was the
feather in the cap that they needed. :-) S. Korea, on the other hand, is
playing literally on their own turf, and absolutely _needed_ this win in a
way that Portugal didn't need. In the end, these two factors seemed to push
these two teams to the top. BTW, my wife was in a local shopping center when
the US-Poland game ended, and they announced the win over the loud speaker.
It was that big. :-)

--
Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland

'A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader." -- Samuel Adams