Re: [NTLK] Brain Surgery

From: Joel M. Sciamma (joelsciamma_at_compuserve.com)
Date: Wed Jun 12 2002 - 06:12:59 EDT

Bernie,

> There's a problem with the pen tracking near the bottom left of the screen but
> in general it runs great.

I also bought a 2100 from Mike and it was exactly as described - well used
but fully operational.

It also has this tracking error and I decided to remove the screen to check
it out mechanically. Apart from some slight contamination under the edges of
the screen bezel, there was nothing detectable wrong with it. This machine
has no jaggies or any other display defect.

I'm wondering if the resistive sensor is becoming non-linear (due perhaps to
ageing of the edge contacts and adhesive) or if the electronics are slipping
out of linearity (less likely).

I might whip the screen out again and see if it's possible to measure the
values produced by the sensor when tapped at various points. It should
reveal some deviation from a linear response but it might also be that the
behaviour of the sensor is naturally a complex one - I would have to compare
the readings with a good screen.

Might it be possible to write a package that captured a lot of data points
from the screen and then provided some new settings to the inker to
compensate for these non-linearities?

Joel.