Re: [NTLK] Brain Surgery

From: PaulMmn (PaulMmn_at_ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue Jun 11 2002 - 20:44:20 EDT

>Bernie wrote (in part):

>Well folks I just got done doing "brain surgery" on two Newts. It was a
>long 2 hour procedure and the outcome was a total success. So much so
>that it seems that I miraculously revived the Newt that I was trying to
>"replace".
>
>I was amazed that the
>PC card slot that had failed all attempts to get working was working
>again. Could it be that by disconnecting all the cable connections to
>the motherboard that somehow the state of some component was changed?

Bernie--

Sometimes 'reseating the cables' (ie unplug and replug) is all that
it takes to undo a bit of corrosion or crud that's blocking the
signals. IBM even does it on their business-sized computers ("I
reseated all of the cables and that intermittent problem went away.").

Legend has it that on the early space missions (Mercury / Gemini /
Apollo) you'd hear Mission Control tell the capsule to "cycle the
switch." In every day talk, this means 'flip it off and on a few
times." Same basic principle-- wipe any corrosion off of the
contacts. (:

--Paul E Musselman
PaulMmn_at_ix.netcom.nospam.com