Re: [NTLK] AW: AW: error 48409 solved, but further troubles

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Mon Jun 10 2002 - 11:40:10 EDT

On 10/06/02 11:21, "Christian Matzerath" <christian.matzerath_at_stormy.tv>
wrote:

> Thank you Robert, I have moved all notes and names entries to thh internal
> store. Is there any way to test and to repair the possibly damaged card?

Did you try "Doctor" in SBM Utilities? If you're getting high positive error
numbers, like others mention, this is usually a hardware problem and I don't
think there is much you can do to "repair" your card. Those linear Flash RAM
cards are known to have a certain number of write cycles. When they get near
that number, they may start to develop bad sectors. On a PC, those bad
sectors could be removed from the allocation table of the card, so that the
card would appear to be of smaller capacity, but there is no such
functionality built in the Newton OS. When the card starts developing bad
sectors, the Newton cannot use it reliably at all.

-Laurent.

Blue Screen of Death n.: [common] This term is closely related to the older
Black Screen of Death but much more common (many non-hackers have picked it
up). Due to the extreme fragility and bugginess of Microsoft Windows,
misbehaving applications can readily crash the OS (and the OS sometimes
crashes itself spontaneously). The Blue Screen of Death, sometimes decorated
with hex error codes, is what you get when this happens. (Commonly
abbreviated BSOD.)