Re: [NTLK] Convincing argument against MS

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Sun Jun 09 2002 - 18:03:07 EDT

On Sun, 9 Jun 2002, Michael Manthey wrote:

> Has anyone of you ever tried to remove Outlook Exchange or IE (3X) from a Win
> '95 installation?
> What is so amazing to my mind is how Microsoft denied you your freedom of
> choice even back then. They gave you fake options during the installation
> process but in fact the installer wrote the whole package onto your hard
> drive.That has been their strategy ever since, and that's why they maintain
> that you cannot remove Internet functionality from the OS nowadays without
> making it dysfunctional.

I wasn't going to get involved in this, but I must post a tiny little
experience of mine. A littlle while ago, I was doing some cleaning on my
main Win2k desktop machine. I like to keep things as lean and mean as
possible. I noticed that I had Outlook Express installed. Hrm, I
certainly don't need that... but there's no easy way to remove it. In the
MS Knowledge base, there is an article on how to uninstall OE manually. I
followed the instrctions; it's basicially just a walkthrough to deleting
some DLLs and such. Where it got interesting was: as soon as I deleted
one of the DLLs, Windows would write back a new copy immediately. This,
in effect, prevents me from removing it. I even tried doing it from the
2K command prompt - still no dice.