Re: [NTLK] Softening PDA Market

From: David Orriss Jr (dave_at_davenet.net)
Date: Fri Jun 07 2002 - 21:37:11 EDT

---- Original Message ----
From: "James Witte" <jswitte_at_bloomington.in.us>
To: <newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net>
Sent: Friday, June 07, 2002 6:08 PM
Subject: Re: [NTLK] Softening PDA Market

>>> WHAT? The springboard is the whole point of going with Handspring. I
>>> don't blame people for leaving, I mean, what's the point in getting a
>
> Makes you wonder if thye'd be singing a different tune if they'd have
> supported PCMCIA, an industry standard with some devices out there already
> instead of a proprietary SpringBoard interface. Unless of course, thy
> thought they'd make a tidy bundle selling the *specs* for the Spingboard
> slot to device manufactures (just like Gem thinks they'll do with the
> Rocket eBook now..)

No. Actually the Springboard spec was freely available to all hardware
manufacturers. The idea behind the Springboard was to provide something
that *didn't* require the licensing fees that a PCMCIA slot would and
thereby pass the savings onto the consumer.

Didn't quite work out that way tho considering some of the Springboard
modules cost more than the Visors did...

--
David Orriss Jr.
dave_at_davenet.net

Please email me if you want my ICQ/AIM/IM ID's.