Re: [NTLK] [OT now] The OQO should have been the new Newton?

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Thu Jun 06 2002 - 18:06:22 EDT

On 06/06/02 17:56, "John Goggan" <jgoggan_at_dcg.com> wrote:
[snip!]
>> The fact that it happens every two weeks starts to look like
>> carelessness and/or incompetence on the part of M$.
>
> Why?? I don't see how it is MS's fault if people execute software and it does
> things. heh. I mean, are you telling me that OS X would somehow magically
> prevent people from executing something that might email a bunch of people?
> Because, if so, then I guess I won't be able to develop that company email
> application that I was writing, right?
>
> Again, I don't see how it is the OS's fault that people run viruses. If the
> OS did something to STOP that, then it would create so many other problems
> that it wouldn't be usable for real work. I don't want an OS that prevents me
> from running whatever app I want. What you need is people that don't run
> whatever they get emailed when they have no idea what it is.
[snip!]

The problems have been documented again and again for many virus. One
example is the way that Outlook (I think it was Outlook) which opens the
entire OS to any VisualBasic commands embedded in an email message. That is
an example on how stupid an OS (and the company that makes it) can be. Why
on Earth would you give the power to delete almost any file on your hard
disk from an email message?

-Laurent.

dinosaur n.: 1. Any hardware requiring raised flooring and special power.
Used especially of old minis and mainframes, in contrast with newer
microprocessor-based machines. In a famous quote from the 1988 Unix EXPO,
Bill Joy compared the liquid-cooled mainframe in the massive IBM display
with a grazing dinosaur "with a truck outside pumping its bodily fluids
through it". IBM was not amused. Compare big iron; see also mainframe. 2.
[IBM] A very conservative user; a zipperhead.