Re: [NTLK] [OT now] The OQO should have been the new Newton?

From: richard_at_cyberphotographer.com
Date: Thu Jun 06 2002 - 12:12:49 EDT

>People blaming Microsoft and/or the OS in situations where it very
>likely isn't their issue.

They often don't get blamed adequately when it is their fault
(Melissa, I love you, my cheeks code red when I klez my E's and think
of your nimbda frame. May all your port start open for me &c. &c.)

> >just because it was a pre-configured Dell does not mean that Dell
>isn't doing things that they shouldn't... ...you are generalizing
>some problems that are more likely hardware or 3rd-party
>configuration related and blaming the software maker for them...

That's the problem: the many things that you _shouldn't_ do in windos
kill creativity whether you are an end user or a developer. It is
hard to keep track of all the bugexploitworkaround debris. About 80%
of my web site development time is spent hacking workarounds for
undocumented and inconsistent windos/MSIE (not Netscape/Linux/Mac)
behaviour. It is quick to hack out windos solutions but hard to make
them reliable.

> >I realized that XP was maybe the most immature product > that M$
>ever released.
>That'd be like me saying that the Newton must be an immature product
>because I have a few that have misalignment problems.

Yes. In so far as these problems occur, Newton was/is a bit immature.
Sadly it will never now reach adulthood. But it still makes a pretty
gifted teenager.