Re: [NTLK] Geez people, freaking get o.

From: Woo Lee (vitcitylb_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Jul 29 2002 - 04:41:15 EDT

------------------
>Nope, I don't have the balance sheet. But I don't need it. Simple logic =
is all that is needed.

Then Gil A. was stupid for spinning off Newton Inc.? Where's the logic in =
that?
------------------
>ONCE AGAIN, Apple was losing hundreds of millions of dollars a quarter.

ONCE AGAIN, Apple was losing 'sales'.
------------------
>Steve came in and cut every project except for the 10% gems he saw. He =
kept the projects that had an instant future.

Gil A. did most of the 'cutting'.
Wow, I gotta get 'SJ's Crystal Ball'(or is that a _Cube_) :-o
Sorry but hindsight is after the fact.
------------------
>And I don't care how much Steve hated the Newton, IF IT WAS MAKING APPLE =
MONEY HE WOULD HAVE KEPT IT! If if would of been profitable in the near =
future, HE WOULD HAVE KEPT IT!

Why didn't Gil A. 'cut' Newton before $J?
------------------
> Think about it. If some company was going to buy a thousand of them, =
that
>would have been several million dollars of profit. No businessman turns
>down profit when they are losing money year after year. Hell, Steve would
>have kept the Newton alive at least until all of those 'thousands of =
orders'
>had been filled.

Nah, screw them later with large license fees for the main OS.
------------------
>Apple would not have killed the Newton if it was profitable. And while =
people continually spout anecdotal evidence about how some company was =
going to but thousands of them or how some country was going to =
standardize on them, the bottom line is that if it was going to
>make Apple money, Steve would have kept them.

So where's the evidence that Newton was not profitable?
------------------
> Ahhh. I see. You are so clever. You took my statements from before,
>change them a little, and spouted them back. How clever. How subtle.
>
> NOT!

Spouted???
You believed what was told, not released, big difference.
------------------
>There was NO bait and switch.

Read the retail box.
------------------
> Yes, bait and switch is illegal. But so is jaywalking. And neither =
offense applies here.

The SFPD would say otherwise.
------------------
> I didn't say _others_ are pleased. I said I was. Personally, I =
couldn't
>care less if others are pleased.

I care if others are pleased or not.
$.J. would love you.
------------------
> Just show me where iTools is part of the OS license. iTools is a =
separate
>service. It seems obvious to me.

$.J. would love you.
------------------
> Well, yes, it costs more for ms and intel. But my point is that it =
still costs a fortune to run Apple. It costs a fortune to run GE. But =
that doesn't change the fact that it costs a fortune to run Apple.

What's Apple's costs to run? You said it costs a fortune.
------------------
> It wasn't a stupid business decision. Do you just not understand the
>economies of scale? Do you not understand that it is prohibitively
>expensive after over 2 million people use it? And ONCE AGAIN THERE IS NO
>BAIT AND SWITCH. See example above.

So it was stupid to assume only a small number of people would begin and =
continue to use it?
'2 million people' is again hindsight. See example above.
>Sure. Send me your address and I will mail you a penny.

One Infinite Loop
Cupertino, CA 9xxxx
=2E..attention to $.J., my last cent to current Apple(btw, I want the jet =
back).