Re: [NTLK] [ANN] ATA Support 1.0b13

From: SlashDevNull (slashdevnull_at_mac.com)
Date: Sun Jul 28 2002 - 20:46:51 EDT

Salutations,

  Speaking from a business point of view (I have my own programming
company.) the developer can set whatever price he wants. Or thinks that his
wares are worth.

  And as you pointed out, it is only "-useful- to a small fraction of a
percentage of the Newton community". Exactly. That is why it is not $10.

  You need to think about this from a business's point of view. If less
people will buy it, then it needs to have a higher price. The developer has
to make back their money. The developer has has spent money developing the
product. And the developer will spend money supporting the product. If
every Newton user will use it then the price can be lower than if only 10%
of the Newton community can use it.

  And there is a flip side to that. If the developer lowers the price, more
people will buy it. But that only works to a point. Many manufacturers
will keep a price higher than normal to 'keep out' some buyers.

  Example, say he sells 100 copies at $50. He has made $5000 and he has to
support 100 users. Say he drops the price to $10 and sells 500 copies. He
still has made $5000 but now he has to support 500 users. Which is the
better scenario for the developer?

  And as for giving back to the community, no one here is under ANY
commitment to give back anything. People who develop software for free are
generous. And telling people to give away their is wrong. The may do it
and some may not. It is completely up to them. But no one here is entitled
to anything.

 And finally, saying that someone is gouging you because you think the price
is too high is just rude. Especially saying it in a public forum. I
suspect you would get a much better response if you sent a private letter
stating your concerns politely.

  As always, the best way to voice your opinion is with your wallet.

Cheers,
David