Re: [NTLK] [ANN] ATA Support 1.0b13

From: PCBman (pcbman_at_ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sun Jul 28 2002 - 12:55:28 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joshua Johnston" <flagg_at_midmaine.com>
To: <newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net>
Sent: Saturday, July 27, 2002 11:14 PM
Subject: Re: [NTLK] [ANN] ATA Support 1.0b13

> Fifty freakin' euros though? Sorry, but I can much more easily pick up
> some linear flash on eBay, cheaper.

Yeah, well go ahead and and buy a 256MB linear flash card on ebay - NOT!!!

Paul has spent a lot of his time developing this driver. Fifty euros is a
fair price for the ability to use cheaper and larger CF cards.

In reality, you can either afford it or not.

If you CAN'T afford it, you CAN'T afford linear flash cards either.

If you CAN afford it, the money is better spent on cheaper CF cards with
higher capacity.

Either way, the price setting is moot.

Your statement suggests only a partial understanding of the costs involved
with developing this kind of product.

As for myself, I know that the hundreds of hours I have put into my SER-001
project and others may never be fully compensated. Paul, myself and a number
of other developers, both software and hardware, are filled with a community
spirit and want to enhance this platform.

Do you think that we should do it for little or no compensation?

The recent price reduction of my SER-001 from $62.50 to $42.50 (-32%) should
serve as an example of the level of commitment we developers have.

Please understand, Joshua, that this is not meant to single you out, per-se,
but,
as you posted this opinion to the group, I felt that a more 'fleshed-out'
commentary was required.

In conclusion, everyone has their own 'comfort level' when it comes to a
fair price for goods and services. It would seem that you have a lower
'set-point'. This is not a bad thing but IMHO, doesn't apply to the
majority.

Peace,

PCBman