Re: [NTLK] Ethernet Card Weirdness

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Fri Jul 26 2002 - 16:55:50 EDT

On Fri, 26 Jul 2002, Graham Metcalfe wrote:

> I've just received and hooked up a 3COM 3C589D to my 2100. I have all the
> drivers etc. installed. I can successfully see and print to all the
> LocalTalk/Postscript printers on my companies network, but cannot see any of
> the Macs on the network. I have AppleTalk set up to use the 3Com card and
> have selected the correct driver. I'm not receiving any kind of error
> message in the Dock. When I open up the "Select a MacOS Computer" slip it
> just shows "Looking for MacOS Computers..." and never seems to find any
> (even after letting it go for a couple of minutes. Conversely, when I go to
> print and look for networked printers the Newt frind all the printers in
> about 5 seconds. Has anybody seen this behavior before? Any fixes? Thanks.

The Newton only recognizes (and is able to use) two AppleTalk services:
printing and NCU. If it doesn't find either of these services running on
a computer /printer it finds on AppleTalk, it won't show up. If you run
NCU on one of those Macs, and set its connection settings to AppleTalk,
then it will show up in the browser in Dock.